Your first blog assignment is due no later than 11:59 pm on Tuesday (1/20). If you are new to WordPress, please do not worry. We will go over the posting process together on Friday morning.
In a short (4-5 paragraph) blog posting, please introduce yourself to the rest of the class. We went through icebreakers on Wednesday, but this is a chance to further elaborate your introduction. What sorts of things interest you? In an ideal world, what would you like to do after you graduate? What is something that most people don’t know about you? Since this is a web design course, you might also talk about your relationship to the web and to the broader Internet. What role do these technologies play in your life? What do you like most about the Internet and its affiliated technologies? Do you have any specific political concerns or personal anxieties related to these technologies? Last but not least, imagine what role these technologies might play in your life in the future. How might you be using these technologies five years out, in the year 2020? What about ten years out, in the year 2025?
In the formal blog assignments for this class, there are a few things that all blog postings should do. Specifically:
- blog postings should always begin with a unique and creative title,
- blog postings should be thoroughly proofread for writing mechanics,
- blog postings should include a featured image that is 1440 x 550 pixels wide,
- blog postings should include at least one annotated hyperlink that points to other Internet resources,
- blog postings should not use mystery meat hyperlinks (e.g. “Last week, Miley Cyrus did this, and this, and then that.”), and
- blog postings should use the appropriate category (e.g. “Blog #1. Introductions”).
The “featured image” requirement is new. The new template for the class blog allows you to assign a featured image to your blog postings. This will give you the chance to practice cropping images. Don’t stress if you encounter problems with this the first time out of the gate. By the end of the semester, you will be able to crop images in your sleep.
Thanks! Please let me know if you encounter any problems or have any questions about this. I realize that this system might be new to you. The first assignment is a low-stress opportunity for you to get a handle on the blogging software while also introducing yourself to your classmates.